Monday, September 21, 2009

Chalkboards!!

Well, I have been busy using up all of my chalkboard paint and everywhere I look there is an item that would be MUCH better used as a chalkboard!!! i thought I'd share with you some inspiration pics and Martha's recipe for making your own chalkboard paint in ANY color!! I'd print off this recipe if I were you!!


Thrifty Decor Chick loves Chalkboards, too!!




The Shabby Chic Cottage painted on a window!!
And the classic Chalkboard wall!!


I have used the spray paint type of Chalkboard paint and I have to admit that I enjoy the type you brush on is my favorite. The brand I use is FolkArt.. I have a link on my sidebar where you can get some through Amazon!!
Here is Martha's recipe for custom color Chalkboard paint from her website!!


Custom Colors Chalkboard paint How-To
Start with flat-finish latex paint in any shade. For small areas, such as a door panel, mix 1 cup at a time.
1. Pour 1 cup of paint into a container. Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout. Mix with a paint stirrer, carefully breaking up clumps.
2. Apply paint with a roller or a sponge paintbrush to a primed or painted surface. Work in small sections, going over the same spot several times to ensure full, even coverage. Let dry.
3. Smooth area with 150-grit sandpaper, and wipe off dust.
4. To condition: Rub the side of a piece of chalk over entire surface. Wipe away residue with a barely damp sponge.

5 comments:

MaryRC said...

i ove the look of chalkboard paint. thanks for the recipe

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I've been wanting to try chalkboard paint and you've given me several good ideas.

Anonymous said...

wow....my husband would kill me for painting a window! haha

Katie Did Scrapbooking said...

Please tell me that you actually made some, that would be awesome!!! I Heart chalk boards!!! I have one in my kitchen and people write on it so much that I go through chalk like it is going out of style!!!

Michelle said...

Hi there! Came over from Cynthia's Cottage and can't believe I haven't discovered you earlier! LOVE your blog. I have added you to my blogroll..hope you don't mind. :)